Live Dates: Mondays February 27, March 6, March 13 2017
Time: 12:30-2:00 EST
NYS SW Contact Hrs./AASECT CEs: 4.5
AASECT Core Knowledge Areas: BCDEFHIJKM
Many couples and family therapists feel unprepared and unskilled when couples have sexual issues. In this workshop, Sari Cooper will cover the most common sexual issues with which couples struggle and how to assess them using a bio-psychosocial systemic lens. She will review the diagnoses in the recent DSM5 and the clinical reasons why some diagnoses are no longer included, and those that are still being considered for future DSMs (such as compulsive, hypersexual or out of control sexual behaviors). She’ll concentrate on three parts of clinical practice: Assessment, Diagnosis/Hypothesis/Treatment Planning, and Clinical Intervention.
Participants will gain an introduction to the diagnostic and treatment skills when working with sexual dysfunctions in couples’ therapy. The presentation aligns with the principles of bio-psychosocial treatment inherent in social work and family therapy. Each case is presented through a variety of lenses, which allows for a multi-layered understanding of each partner’s individual presenting problem, the couple’s system and how it has adapted to the presenting problem and the possible underlying reasons for the stasis of the couples development. Case examples will include heterosexual as well as those clients from the LGBTQ community. They will also include clients from varied cultural and religious backgrounds.
Using case material (with details/names changed to protect confidentiality), Sari will illustrate how she formulates hypotheses utilizing systemic, attachment and sex therapy lenses in actual cases. Presenting problems reviewed will include: erectile dysfunction, discrepant desire, premature ejaculation, avoidant sexuality, pelvic pain, and out of control sexual behavior.
Sari will review the holistic way in which she treats sexual problems including:
- understanding how referrals to other helping professionals should be included
- giving clients tools to address their challenges
- viewing each case as a unique collaborative experience
- utilizing circular questioning to allow clients to become more curious about their systemic dilemmas.
- inviting clients to experiment with home assignments that involve creative, mindful exploration of erotic and intimate engagement.
- tailoring the treatment to the clients’ specific needs and desire for change.
At the conclusion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- identify the DSM5 diagnostic criteria for certain sexual dysfunctions
- define the elements of a sexual assessment when treating a couple with presenting problems which include sexual issues.
- recommend when clients should get assessed by other professionals to differentiate biological explanations for symptoms.
- apply cultural and religious lenses of couples sexual templates.
- develop understanding of clinical interventions for specific individual and couple sexual problems. discuss the concerns of some LGBTQ couples
Satisfactory Completion Participants must have:
- Paid tuition fee
- Attended/viewed the entire seminar
- Completed an evaluation with material quiz (50% accuracy AASECT, 70% accuracy NYS) in order to receive CE Credits.
- Partial credit for a portion of a seminar is not available.
New York State Social Workers
Sari Cooper is an approved provider (#0254) of continuing education to LMSWs and LCSWs in New York State. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. This program is approved for 4.5 CE Credits.
Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists
This program meets the requirements of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) and is approved for 4.5 CE Credits. These CE Credits may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification*.
*Completion of this program does not ensure or guarantee AASECT certification. For further information please contact email@example.com.
Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
Privacy & Copyright
By agreeing to participate in this webinar and connecting to the class/recording, you agree that you are the identified listener, you agree to the refund policy as stated on Sari Cooper’s website, that you will not resell or profit by this information in print or recorded form, that you will not duplicate the information presented within the course, and hold presenters harmless from all damages or harm of any kind.
Completed Evaluations and Quizzes
Please email your completed evaluations and quizzes and once marked and passed you will receive the certificate you had indicated on the purchase order.
CE Certification Type* * CEs for NYS for LMSW/LCSW Recertification
CEs for AASECT Certification/Recertification License* * License State & Number* *